What is the benefit of Total Body Photography?
Research has shown that about 80% of melanomas appear as new spots on the skin, while about 20% will arise from an existing mole. Total Body Photography offers an increased chance of detecting early melanomas.
Who would benefit from Total Body Photography?
Those who have the greatest risk and therefore may benefit from Total Body Photography are those with:
- A previous melanoma
- A family history of melanoma
- Fair Skin (especially those with red hair) and have had previous sun damage
- A large number of moles – more than 50-100 total
- More than 5 unusual moles (irregular in shape, asymmetrical in colour and larger than ordinary moles)
- Many freckles
- Concern about their moles